Juanita Mummy Museum Tour
The Andean Sanctuaries Museum, in Arequipa, houses the famous 'Juanita Mummy', also known as the 'Ice Maiden'. This amazing Inca mummy was discovered on the high peaks of the Ampato volcano and is a testimony frozen in time of the human sacrifice ritual of the Inca Empire. The excellent preservation of Juanita and its accompanying artifacts provide a unique window into the customs, faith and daily life of the Incas more than 500 years ago."
- The mummy Juanita, the lady of the Ampato Volcano, was discovered on September 8, 1995, by the Anthropologist Dr. Johan Reinhard in the snowy Ampato with an altitude of 6380 masl. This place kept this girl who was between 13 and 14 years old for more than 500 years.
- She was specially chosen to be sacrificed and offered to the Apu, with the purpose that the eruptions of this volcano cease, since they were seriously affecting the crops and the cattle raising.
- The visit begins with a video where the entire ritual prior to the offering is represented, this video was recorded in the Ampato Volcano itself.
- Later we will visit the urns where the Juanita mummy was found and where there are 2 more mummies, as well as all the offerings that were with her.
NOTE: The Museum is open from Tuesday to Saturday (09:00 a.m. to 17:00 p.m.) and on Sunday (09:00 a.m. at 2:00 p.m.).
CLOSED to the public on July 28th and 29th, December 25th and January 1st
IMPORTANT: The Mummy enter a state of conservation from February 1st to March 31st
|PRICE FOR 1 PERSON||42 US$|
|PRICE FROM 2-3 PEOPLE||32 US$|
|PRICE FROM 4 PEOPLE UP||28 US$|
* This tour is available just in private service*
- All entrance fees and excursions mentioned in the itinerary.
- Guided: by local quality English or Spanish speaking guides.
- 24-hour support by our local staff.
- 1 Hour Guided Tour.
- Entrances Fees.
- Personalized attention.
- International and domestic flights (in case you request them, please let us know).
- Any meal.
- VISA procedures, travel insurance, pre and post tour accommodation.
- Other expenses of a personal nature (alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc.).
- Tips for guides, drivers and other staff.
- Guidance in other language (Germany, French, others), in case you request them, please ask your travel agent.
- Anything not specified in the itinerary description.