HIKE TO VINICUNCA RAINBOW MOUNTAIN, A WALK INTO THE UNKNOWN
Have you ever wanted to venture to a faraway place where you can practically hear the gods rumbling with a thunderclap in the sky? Come to Peru’s sacred mountains to give your mind, body and soul a break from the daily grind. It is hard to go back to the real world once you’ve seen the sun splash its radiance over the Sandstone Mountains in Peru’s Vinicunca region. Seize the chance to journey through an undiscovered terrain full of wild desert landscapes and snow-capped peaks that reach into heaven. As you pass through lush, emerald-colored valleys, you’ll be inspired by views of Ausangate Mountain standing like a god-carved monolith in the distance. Of course, all of this will lead up to the exiting moment when you first spot the colored minerals that formed the painted hills you’re walking through.
Price with Pick up and Drop off
From 2 people: 65 USD each
Hike to Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain
- You will be picked up from your Cusco hotel at 04:00am to begin a three-hour drive through the South Valley in a private van. We will stop at the town of Cusipata (3,310m/10,860ft) and take a break for about 15 minutes.
- The drive will conclude at the start of the trail in the village in Phullawasipata (4626m/15,177ft).
- The day begins with a hiking route that follows a small stream. This portion of the hike is a true treat because you will have opportunities to see herds of alpacas and llamas. Get your camera ready because this route provides consistent views of Ausangate Mountain. In addition, you will hike through isolated villages and interact with local residents.
- The hike to Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain (5,030m/16,498ft) will take around two hours. Path is bracketed by uphill terrain with some flat terrain in the middle portion.
- You will have a chance to enjoy some snacks and take a break to soak up panoramic views once the top is reached. The break typically lasts 45 minutes. The hike back down to the trailhead should take between one hour and a half.
- After the amazing view of the landscapes on the top we are going to down to the Red Valley we call it like that for the red color of the mountain soil, they look pretty nice and you will find only a few people, this is a totally different experience.
- This will be around 2 hours walk downhill to arrive again in Phullawasipata where our transportation will be waiting for you to take you to have a comforting lunch.
- After lunch you will take private transportation to Cusco. We will then drive 3 hours back to Cusco. Approximate arrival time to Cusco 18:00pm.
- Meals included: LuncH.
🚶🏼Level of Difficulty: Challenging.
🚶🏼 Lowest Elevation: 4,500m/14,764ft.
🚶🏼 Highest Elevation: 5,030m/16,498ft.
🚶🏼 Distance to walk: 10 km / 6, 21 miles.
🚶🏼 Walking time: 2 hours and a half up; 1 hour and a half down
🙋🏼♂️ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
✅ Regarding the Level of Difficulty
Preparation is essential if you want to enjoy a comfortable, healthy experience during this once-in-a-lifetime journey. The journey to Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain is a challenging trek that will last a full day and bring you to an elevation above 14,500 feet. It is recommended that you are in good physical condition before attempting to take on this adventure. Make sure you are properly rested prior to the start of the journey. It is recommended that you stay in Cusco or a place with similar elevation for at last two days before your journey begins. Doing so will help you to properly acclimatize. Remember to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated the day prior to the hike.
NOTE: Maximum groups of 16 people
* Dear client, thank you so much for booking with us. To book your tour, you just have to follow 2 simple steps. First, fill up the booking form. Second, fill up the billing details to pay with Paypal or Credit Card.